Tuesday 8 May 2007

SoundConvertor & Realplayer

Time for a few more reflections on life with Ubuntu so far.

Realplayer - bef0re my re-installation a few days ago Realplayer was working fine on the BBC's website. Now after my reinstall of Ubuntu, despite using Automatix to install realplayer I get the following error:I'm sure that it's surmountable and I will try the troubleshooting tips on help.ubuntu.com, however I would rather that it 'just worked' like it did on the previous occasion. I've uninstall and reinstalled it a few times to no effect.


Ogg Vorbis - I've been using SoundConverter to do convert some audio files from mp3 to ogg. I really like SoundConverter and it seems to do a great job of converting the files. After a but of reflection and testing I tried various different bitrates for the conversion and finally settled on the Low setting (around 96kbps). The mp3's are mainly lectures and so there is very little discernable difference in the audio quality from a bitrate of 320 to 96! However the difference in file size is considerable, hence why I've opted for the smaller size.

More updates tomorrow...

No comments: