Friday 27 April 2007

Day 7 - Reinstall and a great surprise

Today I had to reinstall Ubuntu. First off some explanation. Last night I was looking for a Onenote replacement and found Basket which looks great. After installing it I rebooted and Ubuntu failed to come back up. The splash screen showed but then the screen went blank with the waiting cursor showing. After some fiddling about using dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I didn't get anywhere. So I reinstalled, it took about 12 minutes (very quick!) and I was pleasantly surprised when I rebooted...

As you'll know from my first post I have /home on a separate partition. When I logged back in I noticed that all of my layout preferences have been restored as well as configuration for Firefox and Evolution. So I was able to get up and running with virtually no effort. It's great that all of the program configuration is stored in /home rather than the Windows registry - it makes the process of reinstall much less painful when compared to Windows. I'm still not sure why GDM or xserver went wonky but no harm done.

No comments: